February 04, 2009

Hello, My Name is Jenn...and I am a TV Addict


Do you ever feel ADD? I think I’m starting to. It’s carrying over to my “real” life not just my imaginary me. I think it started to happen when we lost the remote control. I’m forced to get up and change the channels during the commercials or leave it and sit through monotonous Geico and FreeCreditRepot.com commercials. Ugh. I usually opt for getting up because some days are easier than others.

Take Tuesdays for instance. Last night John Quinllones with ABC has his half-investigative, half-scientific, half-social experiment show. Well, I guess it would be thirds, not halves. Anyway, he has this show called “What Would You Do” which is based on creating a scenario while hidden cameras are taping the reactions of normal everyday people in certain ethical situations. He then interviews them as to why they reacted or didn’t react when confronted with said situations. Throughout the takes, he interviews psychologists for professional/behavioral answers. Then he changes the parameters like age, gender, and/or race of the victim/assailant that’s “in” on the experiment to see if that changes the outcome. Last week’s experiments included how women/men reacted when they see someone stealing from an open house. The realtor was in on the experiment and the “thieves” were white females, black females, and a black male all in different scenarios. All the experiments ended the same way, with someone speaking up and refusing to let them leave while someone called the police (who were also in on the experiment). Women were more likely, more outspoken, and more vigilant about calling the “thief” out and refusing to let them leave and even blocked the door. In the scenario with the black male they were more hesitant, especially since it was a white male, refusing to let the man leave. There was a scenario about a blind people being talked to like they’re idiots and getting ripped off because they can’t see the change someone gives them. This week was what would you do if you saw a locked car and a baby left inside? The baby was actually a realistic doll so no one was harmed. It’s FACINATING. By the way, people do the right thing in every situation. Gives me hope for mankind.

At the same time the new season of Nip/Tuck is on. I know its mindless trivial nonsense but it’s totally HOT! Murder, lies, plastic surgery and explicate sex?! What more could anyone want in a show? The last think I want to do after a long day of pushing papers is think, so I immediately look forward to Tuesdays. This poses a problem though since I’m now torn between my passion for seeking knowledge of human behavior and watching the raw animalistic human nature in the form of Christian Troy. I have my own running list of social experiments that should be done-oh, what to do what to do?!

Even still, The Office reruns on TBS which was the whole reason I started watching TV on Tuesdays. The Office makes me feel awkward and uncomfortable and I think that helps me cope in my imaginary life. King of the Hill is also on at the same time on Adult Swim. I know it’s a cartoon, but its pretty frikken funny! Since everything I do is ass-backwards, it would make sense that I would feel ADD by watching only 1 show as, opposed to when I have my remote, watching all 4! I can’t wait till tonight, I only have 2 shows, both on the same channel! LOST! I know what you’re thinking, but the encore of Damages comes on after Nip/Tuck on Tuesdays so I wait till then to catch it. I don't have a problem, but I can quit whenever I want!

1 comment:

tv addict2 said...

I found this website you will have to love it:) online tv streaming http://www.tvsector.com